Much of an individual’s “faith struggle” is internal. Great changes could go completely unspoken.
Search this site
- Follow Public Work on WordPress.com
Problem or Mystery?A problem is something which I meet, which I find completely before me, but which I can therefore lay siege to and reduce. But a mystery is something in which I am myself involved, and it can therefore only be thought of as a sphere where the distinction between what is in me and what is before me loses its meaning and initial validity. -- Gabriel Marcel
Follow on Twitter
"Referee won't blow the whistle / God is good but will he listen?" -- U2
Share & Bookmark
- "When someone opposes me, he arouses my attention, not my anger. I go to meet a man who contradicts me, who instructs me. The cause of truth should be the common cause of both." -- Montaigne
- "If your anger decreases with time, you did injustice; if it increases, you suffered injustice." -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- "And the missionaries, they tell us we will be left behind. / Been left behind a thousand times, a thousand times." -- Arcade Fire
Incapable of doubt, incapable of faithThe majority of mankind is lazy-minded, incurious, absorbed in vanities, and tepid in emotion, and is therefore incapable of either much doubt or much faith. -- T.S. Eliot, Introduction (1931), Pascal's "Pensees"
Wittgenstein on Kierkegaard
"Kierkegaard was by far the most profound thinker of the[nineteenth] century. Kierkegaard was a saint." - Ludwig Wittgenstein, to his friend Maurice Drury.
Read Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard: Religion, Individuality, and Philosophical Method by Charles L. Creegan free online.
- Read This Somewhat Confusing Sign And Tell Me What It Means October 22, 2015
- Does a Political Question Amount to an Attack? Mika Brzezinski asks Sen. McCaskill October 8, 2015
- ACLU’s Nadine Strossen Gives Keynote For FIRE October 1, 2015
- Watch: Battle of the Hamlets with Benedict Cumberbatch, David Tennant, Prince Charles ETC April 25, 2016
- Update on the Winter Edition December 23, 2015
- Church of the Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon, at Night December 16, 2015
- chimichangaa deep-fried tortilla with a savoury filling…...
- woodnote: Dictionary.com Word of the Day April 29, 2016woodnote: a wild or natural musical tone, as that of a forest bird.
- woodnote: Dictionary.com Word of the Day April 29, 2016
- Poem of the Day: Boy and Egg April 29, 2016Every few minutes, he wants to march the trail of flattened rye grass back to the house of muttering hens. He too could make a bed in hay. Yesterday the egg so fresh it felt hot in his hand and he pressed it to his ear while the other children laughed and ran with a ball, leaving him, so little yet, too forgetful in games, ready to cry if the ball brushed hi […]Naomi Shihab Nye
- Poem of the Day: Boy and Egg April 29, 2016
- Poem of the Day: Atmosphere April 29, 2016By A.V. Christie
- Poem of the Day: Atmosphere April 29, 2016
- Generic Generalizations April 25, 2016[New Entry by Sarah-Jane Leslie and Adam Lerner on April 24, 2016.] Generics are statements such as "tigers are striped", "a duck lays eggs", "the dodo is extinct", and "ticks carry Lyme disease". Generics express generalizations, but unlike quantified statements, generics do not carry information about how many member […]Sarah-Jane Leslie and Adam Lerner
- Reasons for Action: Justification, Motivation, Explanation April 24, 2016[Revised entry by Maria Alvarez on April 24, 2016. Changes to: 0] [Editor's Note: The following new entry by Maria Alvarez replaces the former entry on this topic by the previous author.] Why are you always lying? Why did the Ancient Egyptians mummify their dead? Should Huck Finn have turned Jim in? Why is she selling her car? Questions that ask for rea […]Maria Alvarez
- Generic Generalizations April 25, 2016
- Quantum Mechanics, Interpretations of April 20, 2016Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics Quantum mechanics is a physical theory developed in the 1920s to account for the behavior of matter on the atomic scale. It has subsequently been developed into arguably the most empirically successful theory in the history of physics. However, it is hard to understand quantum mechanics as a description of the … Continue […]
- Human Dignity April 20, 2016Human Dignity The mercurial concept of human dignity features in ethical, legal, and political discourse as a foundational commitment to human value or human status. The source of that value, or the nature of that status, are contested. The normative implications of the concept are also contested, and there are two partially, or even wholly, … Continue rea […]
- Quantum Mechanics, Interpretations of April 20, 2016
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Okay; I’ll try it. April 29, 2016The post Okay; I’ll try it. appeared first on Indexed.Jessica Hagy
- Okay; I’ll try it. April 29, 2016
- The Insight of Ignorance: Shakespeare and Cervantes at 400 April 23, 2016 William Egginton
- He Just Wants to Sing April 18, 2016 Natalia Cecire
Liturgy For The PeopleThe liturgy is essentially not the religion of the cultured, but the religion of the people. If the people are rightly instructed, and the liturgy is properly carried out, they display a simple and profound understanding of it. For the people do not analyze concepts, but contemplate. The people possess that inner integrity of being which corresponds perfectly with the symbolism of the liturgical language, imagery, action and ornaments. The cultured man has first of all to accustom himself to this attitude; but to the people it has always been inconceivable that religion should express itself by abstract ideas and logical developments, and not by being and action, by imagery and ritual. --Romano Guardini, "The Awakening of the Church in the Soul"
- How Martin Luther's translation of the Bible influenced the German language
- Anglicanism, Thomas Cranmer and Richard Hooker in the context of Scripture, Reason, and Tradition
- Conservative revolution, radical revolution: there's a difference
- Killing dreams as well as nightmares; Green Day explains 'Restless Heart Syndrome'
- How can you know if a Buddhist amulet has been blessed? The Buddhist amulet market crashes in Thailand
- Southern stoicism versus Christianity
- Counterpoints to Ehrman
- Leave the PCA, take a beating from oh-so-loving brothers
- Peter Enns agrees with me! OK, seriously, he just might, maybe
- What are your favorite short stories?
Arts and humansArt is the signature of man. -G.K. Chesterton
Posts I Like
The Anguished QuestionIf you really enquire about God, not with mere curiosity, not, as it were, like a spiritual stamp collector, but as an anxious seeker, distressed in heart, anguished by the possibility that God might not exist and hence all life be vanity and one great madness -- if you ask in such a mood as the man who asks the doctor, "Tell me, will my wife live or will she die?"-- if you ask thus about God, then you know already that God exists; the anguished question bears witness that you know. -- Emil Brunner, "Our Faith"